Hey, I’m Thomas.
I’m the guy behind Out and Across. I’ve always loved exploring, and have had some incredible opportunities to do so in Canada and abroad. If you’re reading this, there’s a good chance you’re also adventurous. Perhaps you’re trying to spend more time outdoors or explore somewhere new. Or maybe you want to experience a familiar place in a new way. Does that sound like you? You’re in good company!
Right now, I’m a part-time blogger. I work in the international development sector, encouraging Canadians to learn and take action as global citizens. Through my work, I’ve visited several different countries and have become passionate about sustainable travel. On a similar note, I’ve grown to love the great outdoors through countless camping, hiking, and paddling trips. And, of course, more to come.
In 2020, I started Out and Across as a personal creative project. Today, it’s developing into an outdoor adventure resource for people like you. I’m sharing hours of planning, success stories, mistakes and mishaps to help you plan your next adventure. I want us all to get out better—taking care of nature, ourselves, and each other. Through Out and Across, I’ll share ideas and inspiration and first-hand reports for outdoor adventures and sustainable travel. I’d love to hear from you, too.
9 Things You Might Already Know About Me
1. I’m a Bluenoser: Growing up in Nova Scotia, I loved searching for crabs and starfish on the Bay of Fundy shores…. still do. Places I’ve lived: Victoria Vale, Nova Scotia; Moncton, New Brunswick; Ottawa, Ontario; Calgary, Alberta; St. George, New Brunswick.
2. I’m a paddler: I’ve enjoyed several multi-day canoe trips on rivers and lakes, and was a Paddle Canada instructor for seven seasons at summer camp.
3. Calgary was home for six years: Absolutely loved living next to the Rocky Mountains. When I first arrived in Western Canada, I was terrified of grizzlies…. I’ve since learned to manage that fear. Mostly.
4. I’ve never been on a roller coaster: Life’s all the roller coaster I need (!).
5. Halifax to London to Nairobi was my first flight(s) ever: At 18-years-old, I travelled to Kenya and have now visited 13 different countries. Two of my favourite experiences: Hiking in rural Nepal and the Masai Mara in Kenya.
6. I studied sociology and international development: I’ve been working in the international nonprofit sector since finishing university.
7. I love learning about gear: Working part-time at SAIL outdoor store helped pay for university (and for my gear…).
8. Everyone should road trip across Canada: I’ve driven cross country six times, and barely scratched the surface. There’s so much to do and see. I find the good ice cream spots, too!
9. I like being outside all year: In the summer (and spring and fall), I’m often camping, hiking, biking, or paddling. In the winter, it’s time for XC skiing, snowshoeing, and hiking.
I’ll keep stretching myself with new experiences. I’ve found that preparation and the right attitude make all the difference (and good gear never hurts). Whether you’re a novice outdoor adventurer or a seasoned explorer, I hope you get out there and try something new.
Alright—that’s enough for now. See you out there!
Out and Across is a proud partner of Leave No Trace Canada, promoting responsible and sustainable outdoor recreation.
Learn more about the Leave No Trace Seven Principles and outdoor ethics at leavenotrace.ca.
Thomas is an instructor member with Paddle Canada, the national association for recreational paddling in Canada. He is also a member of Canoe Kayak New Brunswick.
Find out more about Paddle Canada instruction and certification at paddlecanada.com.